The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 8 October 2010

Coiliochbhar Hill, Aberdeenshire.

Coiliochbhar Hill

Coiliochbhar Hill, Aberdeenshire. Section 21B
Height – 533 metres. Map – OS Landranger 37.
Climbed - 12 September 2010. Time taken – 2 hours.
Distance – 6.5 kilometres. Ascent – 210 metres.
Trip Report Details:

The start of this walk was the unclassified Cushnie to Kildrummy Road, just west of Upper Minmore. I parked my car on the verge before passing through a gate and following a vehicle track along the edge of a field. This led to another gate which was tied at both ends. I climbed over this gate and continued along the track, across a field, to second tied down gate. The crossing of this gate was a bit awkward as it was in poor condition and the lower section was covered in wire netting.

Once over this third gate the track led through a forested area where new trees had been planted to replace those harvested. At the upper end of the forest there was no gate so I continued along the track, over heathery moorland, towards a cairn.

Beyond the cairn I came to another forested area and thought of walking round the edge but opted to follow a fence through the wood. The fence wasn’t easy to follow as there was quite a bit of fallen timber although in a strange way it was quite pleasant wandering through the old forest. Eventually I reached the northern edge of the wood and followed the fence to a cairn marking the summit of Coiliochbhar Hill.

It was quite breezy here so I returned to the edge of the forest where I had my lunch before returning by the ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.