The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 8 October 2010

Benaquhallie, Aberdeenshire.

Benaquhallie

Benaquhallie, Aberdeenshire. Section 21B.
Height – 494 metres. Map – OS Landranger 37.
Climbed - 12 September 2010. Time taken – 0.75 hours.
Distance – 3 kilometres. Ascent – 195 metres.
Trip Report Details:

This was my third and final Sub 2000 Aberdeenshire Marilyn for the day. I was en-route home along the B9119 Tarland to Aberdeen Road and west of Tornaveen drove up the single track road that led to Upper Broomhill Farm. At the end of the tarred road I parked at the side of the access road leading to Upper Dagie, where it appeared renovations were in progress.

I walked the short distance to Upper Broomhill Farm then along the west side of the farm buildings which led to a gate in an electric fence. Once through the gate I crossed a field, initially following grassy vehicle tracks, to a wall and a few trees, which led to the top fence. Here I found all four strands of the fence were electrified. I didn’t notice until the descent that slightly to the west there was a short section with rubber tubing round the wires to facilitate a crossing. In the process of climbing the fence I did discover that it was in fact live.

Beyond the fence there was deep heather to contend with as I continued the ascent. I reached a large cairn and a short distance further north the summit trig point, where I had views of Craigievar Castle, the Howe of Alford and Aberdeen.

The return was by the ascent route crossing the fence where the rubber tubing protected me from another electric shock.

Photos taken on walk.