The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Thursday 7 October 2010

Lord Arthur's Hill, Aberdeenshire

Lord Arthur's Hill
Lord Arthur’s Hill, Aberdeenshire. Section 21B.
Height – 518 metres. Map – OS Landranger 37.
Climbed - 12 September 2010. Time taken – 2.25 hours.
Distance – 8 kilometres. Ascent – 350 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I decided to climb this hill from the east as it made for a slightly longer and easier walk than the approach from the south. Dubston Farm was my starting point, reached from Tullyneesle on the single track road leading to Tullynessle Castle. Near the end of this tarred road there was a rough area of ground where I parked my car.

It was a bright and slightly breezy morning when I set off along the farm road leading to Dubston. I walked round the back of this farm onto a vehicle track which soon entered a fenced off area where new trees had been planted. A sign indicated that I was on the ‘Quarry Walk’ and that responsible walkers were welcome.

Beyond the fenced area the track followed the south side of the Esset Burn before it later split. The ‘Quarry Walk’ appeared to head north towards an old quarry and onto the Correen Hills while my route continued in a westerly direction following the track shown on the map as Fouchie Shank. Higher up the path passed through some larch and Caledonian Pine trees before crossing more heathery ground to reach Lord Arthur’s Cairn.

The summit trig point was slightly further to the north so I visited it where I had views of the Correen Hills and The Buck. I returned to the shelter of the cairn for a coffee break looking out over the Howe of Alford and to Coiliochbhar Hill.

The return was by the ascent route. Near Dubston Farm I met a group, who with the availability of two cars, were walking to Mossat.

Photos taken on walk.