The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 9 November 2010

An Lean-Charn, Far North

An Lean-charn

An Lean-charn, Far North. – Section 16B
Height 521 metres. Map – OS Landranger 9.
Climbed – 25 October 2010. Time taken – 3.5 hours.
Distance – 8.5 kilometres. Ascent – 550 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I was heading south to Cannich later in the day so this Sub 2000 foot Marilyn appeared to meet my requirement for a morning walk.

I drove west along the single track A838 Tongue to Durness Road to the head of the sea loch, Loch Eriboll. Despite being in some wild country there were few parking spaces. Once I managed to get my car off the road I headed south along a vehicle track to a couple of gates which were in poor condition. Here there was a sign giving advice during the stalking seasons, but no indication if stalking was taking place that day. However there was a contact number but I doubt if my mobile would have worked in such a remote location.

The vehicle track headed round the west side of the craggy, Creag na Faoilinn and along Srath Beag. However once beyond the crags I left the track and climbed east over some wet and rough vegetation as I made my way towards my target hill, An Lean-charn. The plan was to use the three lochans to the south-east of Creag na Faoilinn as navigation aids but the weather was clear enough for me to make a direct ascent. The ground did steepen in places but there was no real problem. A small dip containing a lochan was crossed before the final climb to the summit cairn of An Lean-charn.

Here I had a coffee break with views of Ben Hope and Lochs Hope and Eriboll.

My return was by the ascent route with views of the Corbetts, Foinaven, Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaidh as the cloud lifted clear of their tops.

Wildlife spotted on this walk included deer, grouse and a vole.

Photos taken on walk.