The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 14 July 2010

Hill of Nigg, Easter Ross.

Hill of Nigg

Hill of Nigg, Easter Ross. Section 15B.
Height - 205 metres. Map – OS Landranger 21.
Climbed - 3 July 2010. Time taken – 2.25 hours.
Distance 9 kilometres. Ascent – 265 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I had already climbed two of Easter Ross’s Sub 2000 Marilyns and had left this one to the end of the day as it appeared the easiest. I drove to Nigg and then took the Castlecraig Road, where I saw a sign for a path to Bayfield Loch. (grid reference NH8114471198) My plan was to climb both Hill of Nigg’s tops and on studying the map this appeared to be a suitable starting point. There was no parking here but I did manage to get my car onto the sloping verge and off the road.

I clambered over two padlocked gates and walked along an overgrown grass track within a small copse of trees. The track led to a field of sheep and towards the east end of Bayfield Loch. However I cut across this field as the plan was to follow the edge of the trees to the summit area. A number of gates were crossed and a herd of cattle in one of the fields thankfully decided to head in the opposite direction.

Higher up I came to a stile which led me into the forest. However gorse bushes made the going quite difficult and when I got to the other side there was a barbed wire fence to cross with no stile or gate nearby. It was then a short steep climb to the summit of the Hill of Nigg where there were a couple of stones. I had views over to the Black Isle and across the Moray Firth to Aberdeenshire, Moray and Nairnshire.

I could see Hill of Nigg’s trig point summit, which looked higher but obviously wasn’t. I headed across to the forest and searched for a direct route but to no avail. I therefore descended to the east end of Bayfield Loch where I spotted a Common Blue Damselfly. Well it maybe common but I don’t recall ever seeing one before. I walked round the north side of the Loch then followed vehicle tracks to the trig point.

The return was to Bayfield Loch by the upward route before following the overgrown track through the copse of trees to my car.

Photos taken on walk.