The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 13 July 2010

Cnoc Ceislein, Easter Ross.

Cnoc Ceislein

Cnoc Ceislein, Easter Ross. – Section 15B.
Height – 523 metres. Map OS Landranger 21.
Climbed 3 July 2010. Time taken – 3.25 hours.
Distance – 11.5 kilometres. Ascent – 550 metres.
Trip Report Details:

The forecast for the higher hills to the west was for some windy weather so I decided to complete the remaining Sub 2000 Marilyns in Easter Ross that I required to climb.

The first was Cnoc Ceislein, so I drove along the B9176 Struie Road until I came to the sign for Boath and then this narrow single track road to the Novar Estate Car Park. There was no other vehicle there when I set off through the trees, along a marked trail. The flies were a nuisance but once higher up there was a bit of a breeze so that put an end to them. I now had views of Alness and the Cromarty Firth.

As I approached the Fyrish Monument I encountered the first shower of the day. Once at the monument I wandered over to the summit of Cnoc Fyrish before descending its east ridge, following a vehicle track. At a junction of tracks, grid reference NH5972069724 I took the right track and walked north to a split in this track at grid reference NH5986970270.

Here I took a left turn and in less than 400 metres, at an obvious bend in this track, I left it and commenced the ascent of Cnoc Ceislein. Initially the ground was rough and potentially boggy, but due to the dry spell this wasn’t a problem. However I soon reached a mixture of mosses and heather and this made for a relatively easy ascent.

The summit trig point was reached where I took a break before returning by the upward route passing several folks headed for the Fyrish Monument.

Photos taken on walk.