The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Monday 19 July 2010

Cairn-mon-earn, Aberdeenshire.

Summit Cairn-mon-earn

Hill - Cairn-mon-earn, Aberdeenshire. Section 7.
Height – 378 metres. Map – OS Landranger 38.
Climbed – 13 July 2010. Time taken – 1.5 hours.
Distance – 7.5 kilometres. Ascent – 230 metres.
Trip Report Details:

It was a lovely sunny day in Aberdeen so in the afternoon I drove towards Banchory to climb this Sub 2000 Marilyn which would be an easy walk on forest tracks. I also noted that there were two possibilities, a north and south approach.

On arriving at the start of the northern route there were several signs regarding forest operations and access being restricted. I therefore drove further south onto the A957 Banchory to Stonehaven Road and located the southern access track where there was space for several vehicles to park beside a locked gate.

I set off up this forest track with views back to the Durris Television Transmitter and once some height was gained there was a brief view through the trees of the communication masts on the summit of Cairn-mon-earn. However there was no direct route through the trees so I continued along the track taking a left at the two junctions. A sign at the start of the second left hand track advised against using this route due to forest operations. However there didn’t appear to be an alternative route to the summit.

It was with some care I proceeded along this forest track, which in places was badly eroded, until I eventually came to the forest operations. There was no work on-going but a large area of the forest, to the north, had been cleared. I could see the track used if approaching from that direction where there was a large pile of timber awaiting removal. Aberdeen and across towards Donside were visible.

The track wound its way up to the masts, and beyond there was a large cairn with a trig point on top. I visited this before walking a few metres further west to a slightly lower cairn, where there was a seat, and I lingered here for a few moments taking in the views across to Banchory and Deeside. While there I heard voices and on looking back saw a couple climbing to the trig point. They didn’t stay long and ran off back downhill. I returned to my car by the upward route.

Photos taken on walk.