The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 14 July 2010

Cnoc an t-Sabhail (North), Easter Ross.

Cnoc an t-Sabhail

Cnoc an t-Sabhail (North), Easter Ross. – Section 15B.
Height – 321 metres. Map – OS Landranger 21.
Climbed – 3 July 2010. Time taken – 2.5 hours.
Distance – 9 kilometres. Ascent – 225 metres.
Trip Report Details:

This Marilyn required some thought as I had read on Scottish Hills, and elsewhere on the internet, that due to tree felling underfoot conditions were rather awkward. I decided to start from near Quarryhill, west of Tain and attempt to access the hill from there.

At grid reference NH7526081311 I found a car park, suitable for a couple of vehicles, and various signs indicating a walk to Pulpit Rock. There were two routes, north and south, but I opted for the north one as it was suggested dog walkers take the lower path.

I set off along the north path which wandered through the trees to the south of Quarryhill. The path soon crossed a vehicle track and below a power line, to reach Pulpit Rock which was immediately beyond them. I followed the vehicle track north as it climbed slightly before descending to a forest track at grid reference NH7443981809. I then walked west along this track, which I later learned was a Cycle Trail.

The track led to open ground around Lochan Uanie but the area appeared rather marshy and wasn’t suitable for an ascent of Cnoc an t-Sabhail so I continued along the track until I came to a junction of tracks at grid reference NH7340981139. This right hand track wasn’t in as good nick but it gained a bit of height so I followed it until it started to go downhill, (grid reference NH7281181008) possibly to rejoin the Cycle Trail.

I now commenced the section I wasn’t looking forward to, the crossing of leftovers from logging operations, where new trees had been planted. However I was surprised to find that after around 100 metres I was clear of this area and onto more heathery vegetation which made for easier progress. This lasted until I got nearer the summit where the vegetation was soft and mossy with some tussocky grass and bog.

The summit trig point was reached as it started to rain but the shower didn’t last too long. It appeared to me the trig point was located in a small hollow and that the surrounding ground was slightly higher.

After some lunch I headed back to my car using the outward route.

Photos taken on walk.