The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Sunday 28 February 2010

Meall an Fheadain, Coigach. - Section 16F

Achiltibuie

Meall an Fheadain, Coigach.
Height – 203 metres. Map – OS Landranger 15.
Climbed – 13 February 2010. Time taken – 1.5 hours.
Distance – 4.5 kilometres. Height climbed – 170 metres.
Trip Report Details:

This was my final day in the North-West Highlands so I was looking for a short day walk, before heading to Inverness, and this Sub 2000 hill and Marilyn fitted the bill.

I drove south on the single track Lochinver to the Aird of Coigach road which is rather interesting with its narrowness, twists and turns. Once on the Achiltibuie Road I headed to the south-east of the hamlet of Altandhu and parked at the side of the access road which leads to the radio mast beside Meall an Fheadain.

There was no sign or barrier preventing access to the mast road but I set off on foot up this semi-tarred road. I made good progress and was passed by a crofter who had been feeding his sheep by scattering the food on the road.

Once through the flock of sheep it didn’t take long to reach the radio mast where a path was followed round its east side and onto the summit. The Caledonian MacBrayne ferry was heading out of Loch Broom destined for Stornoway in the Western Isles. From the summit trig point I had views of numerous lochs, the Summer Isles, Badentarbat Bay and Achiltibuie.

There had been light rain off and on during my ascent but it wasn’t heavy enough to stop me having a coffee break while taking in these views. The return was by the upward route.

Photos taken on walk.