The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Monday 22 February 2010

Auchtertyre Hill, Lochalsh. - Section 12A

Loch Alsh

Auchtertyre Hill, Lochalsh.
Height – 452 metres. Map – OS Landranger 33.
Climbed – 5 February 2010. Time taken – 3.25 hours.
Distance – 9.5 kilometres. Height climbed – 490 metres.
Trip Report Details:


The start for the ascent of this hill was the small village of Balmacara Square, which is reached from the A87 Kyle of Lochalsh to Shiel Bridge Road just west of Balmacara. There is ample car parking in the village.

I set off through the village and along the road to Plockton for around 350 metres to, on my right, a signposted route for Achnahinich 1.5 miles. I passed through a gate and followed this signposted track to just beyond a footbridge over a small stream, where the route to Achnahinich headed north. I remained on the track and passed through another gate with a notice telling me I was entering the Coille Mhor Habitat Management Area.

I had views of Loch Alsh and back to Balmacara Square as I continued through this managed area and into the forest. On reaching a ‘T’ junction I took a right and climbed to the highest point on the track where at grid ref. NG8270629283 I found a gap in the trees. The ground here was covered in snow but I soon emerged from the forest near Loch a’Bhealaich at grid ref. NG8297829304. I then had two options to get round the cliffs of Auchtertyre Hill’s north face and decided to head slightly to the right to beside a deer fence. This route was rather steep and slippery in places with some wet snow so I wouldn’t recommend it. The gradient later eased and I made my final approach to the summit trig point on Auchtertyre Hill. From the top I had views of Lochs Duich, Alsh and Carron, Kyle Rhea, Beinn Sgritheall, Beinn a’Callich and Ben Aslak.

After a short break, where it was rather cold in the wind, I headed to the North-East Top and disturbed a grouse. I then commenced my descent still heading north-east and saw two foxes walking up a nearby ridge. I regained a bit of height to see if I could spot them again but to no avail. I thereafter continued my descent which took me to the east end of Loch a’Bhealaich where a couple of deer ran off. I then headed for the gap in the forest and returned to Balmacara Square by my ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.