The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 16 February 2010

Cnoc Mor, Easter Ross - Section 15B

Cnoc Mor

Cnoc Mor, Easter Ross.
Height - 269 metres. Map - OS Landranger 26.
Climbed – 31 January 2010. Time taken - 2.5 hours.
Distance – 7.5 kilometres. Height climbed – 370 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I was staying in Inverness and later that day was heading west so a short morning walk was the plan and Cnoc Mor suited the bill. I decided to start from Blackmuir Wood, Strathpeffer, where there were forest walks.

There was some snow on the road between the villages of Contin and Strathpeffer and as I drove into Strathpeffer I saw the signs for the woods. Unfortunately there were also signs indicating that the walks and car park were closed as trees were being forested. However as it was Sunday I didn’t think anyone would be working so I found somewhere to park and headed up the forest track. I hadn’t gone far when I heard the noise of a vehicle and saw that it was collecting cut timber. I tried a couple of side paths but they came to an end amongst areas of cut timber so after half an hour I gave up and returned to my car.

I drove back towards Contin and at a junction signposted to Jamestown took a left and headed for Beallachnagore Farm to just beyond the end of the public road where I found a parking space. I then walked across a field to the edge of Blackmuir Woods and followed the boundary fence up the side of the trees crossing a couple more fences. Eventually I noticed that there was a path within the woods and clambered over the fence and followed this path which soon came to a stile and crossed back into the field.

The path led to a sign indicating the route through a newer plantation but the path was overgrown and a bit wet and snow covered. Eventually it led to another path which was also signposted. Here I took a left and the path led to the summit trig point which was partially surrounded by trees.

This had only taken me thirty minutes so I descended north-east, steeply in a couple of locations, and headed out to Knock Farril, over its south-west top. From this top there were views of Ben Wyvis, Little Wyvis, the Cromarty Firth and Castle Leod.

After a short break at the summit I retraced my route back to the car.

Photos taken on walk.