The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Sunday 28 February 2010

Beinn Mheadhoin, Inverness-shire. - Section 9B

Beinn Mheadhoin

Beinn Mheadhoin, Inverness-shire.
Height – 556 metres. Map- OS Landranger 26.
Climbed 14 February 2010. Time taken 2.75 hours.
Distance 10.5 kilometres. Height climbed – 370 metres.
Trip Report Details:

The start of this walk was the B851 Fearn to Fort Augustus Road at the junction with the unclassified road signposted Ruthven and Abersky where there is a red telephone box. (Grid Ref NH6070224504) There is limited parking beside the kiosk and from previous experience there isn’t many spots nearby to leave a vehicle.

I set off west along the B851 and soon came to the entrance to Dunmaglass Estate. I have used this route on a couple of occasions to access the remote Corbett Carn na Saobhaidhe in the Monadhliath range of mountains. I walked along this estate road and near the start came to a couple of impressive entrance pillars with bird statutes on top. Further on, beside the cottages at Achnaloddan, a sign indicated that the area was twinned with Warninglid in England. On checking the internet there isn’t a lot of information about Warninglid so I presume that is where the estate owner originates from.

Beyond the houses at Achnaloddan the route was sinposted and passed through a couple of fields containing sheep with lots of game birds flying around. At the second bridge I crossed the Allt Uisg an t-Sidhein where an animal trap was positioned as was the case on the first bridge. I’m not a fan of these devices.

A deer fence was reached with a gate and stile and once through the gate I continued up the track as the gradient increased. At a junction of tracks I took a left. The right hand track was the route to Carn na Saobhaidhe. There was some hard packed snow as I headed up Glas nan Gamhna and on approaching a slight dip in the track I left it and climbed the heather clad hillside but the walking was relatively easy as there were some animal tracks to follow.

I soon reached the summit cairn with views to the east and south of snow clad hills but with their tops in cloud. I had views of Lochs Ruthven and Conagleann and briefly saw the Loch Ness Grahams, Meall Fuar-mhonaidh and Glas-bheinn Mhor and the Glen Affric mountains.

The return was down the north ridge and over a small knoll. Later I went through a field surrounded by deer fencing before descending through some beech trees where the bark had been eaten by hungry animals. I went over a fence topped with barbed wire and tore my overtrousers which was annoying as I don’t know why barbed wire is used. I then crossed a small stream before passing through another gate and over a footbridge before reaching the track beside Achnaloddan and the walk back to the car.

Photos taken on walk.