The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 30 August 2011

An Socach, Cape Wrath Peninsula.

An Socach

An Socach, Cape Wrath Peninsula. Section 16A.
Height – 362 metres. Map – OS Landranger 9.
Climbed - 7 August 2011. Time taken – 4 hours.
Distance – 9.5 kilometres. Ascent – 410 metres.
Trip Report Details: 

The forecast wasn’t great so my plan to access some of the remoter Sub 2000 Marilyns on the Cape Wrath peninsula was put on hold. Instead I headed for one of its easier hills, An Socach. I left my vehicle in a parking area on the B801 at Badcall, east of Kinlochbervie, and walked east to the vehicle track that headed north from this hamlet.
The vehicle track was initially in reasonable condition and I passed a few abandoned and rusting implements lying at the side. The track appeared little used and soon deteriorated but it was still suitable for walking along and went as far as the Allt nan Lub Bana, further than my map showed. There was no problem crossing this stream but beyond I was confronted by some marshy ground, which I was expecting as here the contours on the map were wide apart.
I worked my way round some pools of water as I made for higher ground east of Poll Buidhe. This took me onto An Socach’s south-west ridge where the going was a bit rough with more areas of water to avoid. A slight dip in the ridge was followed by a steep and rocky ascent of An Socach’s South-West Top arriving at its large cairn just as the cloud lowered and engulfed the hill.  I took a couple of bearings and headed for the 358 metre Top before doing a dogleg to reach the true summit further north-west, which was marked by a small cairn.
Earlier I had some views, including Sandwood Bay and Loch, but I was hoping that the cloud would lift so that I could get more views of the area. I had a snack at the summit during some light rain and waited for around forty minutes for the cloud to lift which it did. Once I had taken a few more photographs I returned by the ascent route. The cloud continued to lift and I even managed a view east to Arkle.

Photos taken on walk.