The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Thursday 11 August 2011

Beinn Sgeireach, Sutherland.

Beinn Sgeireach
Beinn Sgeireach, Glen Sgeireach, Sutherland. Section 16E.
Height – 476 metres. Map – OS Landranger 16.
Climbed – 5 August 2011. Time taken – 2.25 hours.
Distance – 6.5 kilometres. Ascent – 410 metres.
Trip Report Details: 

My second Sub 2000 Marilyn of the day, before heading for a weekend in the North-West, was Beinn Sgeireach, which is located between Glen Cassley and Loch Shin. The Glen Cassley road, the nearest public road to this hill, was reached from Rosehall on the A837. It was a pleasant drive up the single track road which ran along the east side of the River Cassley. At Badintagairt Farm I parked directly opposite the farm house, which appeared to be unoccupied.
To the north of the farm I located the vehicle track shown on my map which headed east to a small forested area and apparently up the side of the Allt Bad na t-Sagairt to Coire Buidhe. However the track was in poor condition being rutted in places, difficult to walk on and even find. A more direct route, slightly to the north, appeared easier so I abandoned my initial plan to follow the track and made a more direct ascent towards Beinn Sgeireach, which I couldn’t actually see at this time.
 The ground was a bit stonier and the vegetation shorter but as I gained some height the grasses became longer and the walking more awkward, although climbing these less popular hills I’m quite used  to pathless terrain. The summit area of Beinn Sgeireach became visible while underfoot it was a bit wet with lots of bog pools to avoid so there was a some meandering required to keep my feet dry.
A slight dip, which was wet and boggy, was crossed before the gradient increased with a few rocks to walk round as I climbed to the summit trig point. Here I had good views towards Bens Hope, Loyal and Klibreck as well as several other smaller hills.
After a late lunch I returned to my car slightly to the south of the ascent route to avoid the wetter areas of the hillside but I’m not sure I gained much benefit.

Photos taken on walk.