The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Hill of Garvock, Kincardineshire.

Hill of Garvock

Hill of Garvock, Laurencekirk. Section 7.
Height -277 metres. Map – OS Landranger – 45.
Climbed - 20 March 2011. Time taken – 1 hour.
Distance – 4 kilometres. Ascent – 60 metres.
Trip Report Details:

The start for this walk was the B9120, east of Laurencekirk, at the highest point on the road. Here there was a large parking and picnic area looking across The Howe of Mearns to the west and the North Sea to the east. Unfortunately it was rather misty so I didn’t get the best of views.

I set off through a gate and headed south-west, on an easy gradient, across a field following the edge of a fence and a separate single strand electric fence. These fences later turned east but I continued in the same direction staying on the crest of the hill.

There were in fact four fields to cross but I got the impression that walkers weren’t welcome, at least on this route. I’ve already mentioned the electric fence but there was a second, which wasn’t in use, beside a cattle grid. Before that I came to a double fence where a couple of old gates were tidied down with barbed wire. There was also a strand of barbed wire along the top of the gate and fence. This meant for a slightly difficult fence crossing.

Once clear of these obstacles it was an easy stroll to the summit trig point and the Tower of Johnston. I was surprised to find the tower door open so I climbed the spiral stone steps to the top. There were a couple of steps missing or worn away which did make it awkward on the descent. Unfortunately as mentioned earlier the views were a bit hazy but it would be a grand viewpoint on a clear day.

I returned by the ascent route re-crossing the obstacles.

Photos taken on walk.