The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Thursday 10 March 2011

Beinn a'Mheadhoin, Dornie

Beinn a'Mheadhoin

Beinn a’Mheadhoin, Dornie. Section 11A.
Height – 414 metres. Map – OS Landranger 33.
Climbed - 27 February 2011. Time – 2.5 hours.
Distance – 5.5 kilometres. Ascent – 460 metres.
Trip Report Details:

Earlier in the day I climbed Beinn Conchra on the west side of Loch Long. The weather was reasonable despite a hail and sleet shower. On my descent I had good views across the loch to Beinn a’Mheadhoin so decided to add this Sub 2000 Marilyn to my days outing.

From Dornie I drove along the south-east shore of Loch Long, to the hamlet of Bundalloch and parked in the bellmouth at the end of the public road. I then walked across the bridge over the River Glennan and followed a muddy track along the north side of the river. The condition of this track deteriorated due to animals being fed nearby so on finding a section of fence collapsed I crossed it and commenced the ascent of Beinn a’Mheadhoin.

The ground was a mixture of rock and heather and I kept to the highest points where possible. This meant a slight descent to cross the outflow of Loch Dubhach before finally climbing to the summit of Beinn a’Mheadhoin where I had good views of the surrounding mountains.

After lunch I returned to Bundalloch this time avoiding re-ascending any rocky knolls where possible but this did involve crossing short sections of steep terrain.

Photos taken on walk.