The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Saturday 26 March 2011

Farrmheall, Cape Wrath Peninsula.

Farrmheall

Farrmheall, Cape Wrath Peninsula. Section 16A
Height - 521 metres. Map – OS Landranger 9.
Climbed - 11 March 2011. Time taken – 2 hours.
Distance – 4 kilometres. Ascent – 350 metres.
Trip Report Details:

Nearly a week of stormy weather in the North-West Highlands meant I never got above 357 metres. However the forecast was for the winds to die down by mid-morning so I was optimistic that today I could get a little higher. My walking companion had given up and returned home.

To avoid the morning winds it was a late start. I parked my car in the small parking area on the north side of the Allt na Gualainne just off the A838, beyond Gualin House which is one of the starting points for the Corbett, Foinaven. The area had a covering of snow from an overnight fall.

The initial ascent was wet and boggy and wasn’t improved by the wet snow but as height was gained the ground became firmer and the snow drier. From the parking area I worked my way onto the south ridge of Farrmheall where I thought there were traces of a vehicle track concealed by the snow.

It was then a gradual climb of the south ridge where I was surprised to see a few traffic cones positioned on the hillside. I wasn’t sure of their purpose until I later discovered a telecommunication tower to the north of my intended summit and thought that there might be a connection.

Higher up the gradient eased and the ridge became a bit stoney with some minor snowdrifts. I already had views of Foinaven, Beinn Spionnaidh and Cranstackie but I could now see the Kyle of Durness and out to the Atlantic. It was a gentle rise to the summit cairn where my views west were obscured by an approaching snow shower. However gone were the strong winds of earlier in the week.

I had lunch sheltering behind the cairn and once the shower had past I was able to see out towards Sandwood Bay and the hills of the Cape Wrath peninsula. A few photographs were taken before I returned to my car by the upward route.