The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 31 March 2010

Steele's Knowe, Perthshire. - Region 26.

Steele's Knowe
Steele’s Knowe, Perthshire.
Height – 485 metres. OS Landranger 58.

Climbed - 28 March 2010. Time taken – 2 hours.
Distance – 7 kilometres. Height climbed – 280 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I decided to climb this Ochil, Sub 2000 foot, Scottish Marilyn from the north, accessing the hill from Glen Coull. This glen was reached along a single track road from the village of Auchterarder. On driving along this road the damage caused by the recent snowfalls was evident with lots of branches snapped off from the trees. The public road ended at Coulshill Farm where parking was at a premium.

Once I found a suitable place to leave my car, I headed south-east along a track on the south-west side of the Coul Burn, a Right of Way to Glen Devon. On reaching Hodyclach Burn the route followed its east bank, southwards, gradually climbing the grassy hillside where sheep were grazing. Higher up the path wasn’t as obvious and in poor conditions might be difficult to follow. The col between Green Law and the 474 Knoll was reached where there was a gate in the fence. However I had decided to leave the Right of Way at this point and follow the wall to the knoll. An All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) track running alongside the wall made for an easy ascent.

There was a wind turbine close to the knoll but this wasn’t a surprise as I had viewed a map on-line showing this wind farm and I had seen several of the turbines during my ascent. The rest of the turbines were visible as they stretched towards the summit of Steele’s Knowe, although, despite the strong wind, some weren’t working. Away from these ugly grey monsters I had a view south to the River Forth and across Glen Devon to Innerdownie, a New Donald, I had climbed earlier in the year.

The ATV track now headed west along the side of a fence so I followed it rather than the wide track linking the wind turbines. However at the col, south-east of Steele’s Knowe, I crossed the fence and followed the turbine track to a ‘T’ junction where to my surprise I found a notice that CCTV surveillance was in operation. Well I don’t mind them in town centres but near the summit of a hill was a bit over the top. It must be the first time I have been recorded climbing a hill. From the track I headed to a large mast before a faint path led to Steele’s Knowe’s trig point. Here there were views down to Auchterarder and across to the Perthshire Hills.

Despite the strong cold wind there was enough shelter behind the trig point for a snack and cup of coffee. Afterwards I made a direct descent towards Coulshill Farm, initially on another ATV track, then over grass with some reeds and wet ground, which I tried to avoid. Lower down there were a couple of fences to clamber over before reaching the public road beside the farm.

Photos taken on walk.