The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Thursday 25 March 2010

Meall Gainmheich, Trossachs. - Region 1C

Meall Gainmheich

Meall Gainmheich, Trossachs.
Height – 564 metres. Map – OS Landranger 57.
Climbed - 21 March 2010. Time taken – 3.25 hours.
Distance – 7.5 kilometres. Height climbed – 620 metres.
Trip Report Details:

The forecast was for some rain and low cloud during the afternoon so I decided to climb this Sub 2000 Scottish Marilyn and get off the hill by lunchtime.

I drove along the A821 Kilmahog to Aberfoyle Road as far as the west end of Loch Achray where there was a large car park marked Ben A’an. I left my vehicle here, crossed the main road, and headed uphill through the forest on a fairly steep well worn path which later followed the west bank of the Allt Inneir. The path later crossed this stream, via a footbridge, and higher up the gradient eased. It was here that I felt the first few spots of rain and on reaching a clearing in the forest I saw that the tops of the hills were covered in cloud.

The path later emerged from the trees and again the gradient increased as I climbed towards a large rock, which tourists consider to be the summit of Ben A’an. There were a few folks making there way up this path and a couple descending, having tried to catch the sunrise on camera. I climbed onto this rock where I had views down to Lochs Achray and Katrine although it was still cloudy higher up.

I left the tourists to their rocky perch and returned along the path for a short distance before following a trail, which I had noted earlier. However this path didn’t last and soon disappeared in the long heather as I approached an old deer fence. I was heading for the South-East Top of Ben A’an but on closing in on this knoll the cloud base was high enough to allow me to make a direct ascent to its true summit, which was marked by a few stones.

I spotted a few deer hinds as I descended from Ben A’an and headed for my next hill, Meall Reamhar. I could see my target hill, Meall Gainmheich, although it became briefly engulfed in cloud. On approaching a fence I saw a chap to my left who was also heading towards Meall Reamhar. The ascent was quite steep through some long heather and a few rocks but by the time I reached the summit cairn the other walker was en-route for Meall Gainmheich.

On Meall Reamhar I found some shelter from a cold wind for a coffee break and to put on my Cioch jacket as there was still the occasional spots of rain. After my break I descended to another fence which I crossed as the chap I had seen earlier was departing Meall Gainmheich. I climbed onto the north-west ridge of Meall Gainmheich where another fence led to the summit, which was just off the fence line and could be any of a few pointed rocks.

The return was direct to the east side of the summit of Ben A’an which I traversed round. The old deer fence was reached before I cut across to rejoin the Ben A’an tourist path which I followed back to the start passing several family groups on their way up and down the hill. The car park which only had a couple of cars in it when I left was now full.

Photos taken on walk.