The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Monday 22 March 2010

Brimmond Hill, City of Aberdeen. - Region 21B

Brimmond Hill

Brimmond Hill, City of Aberdeen.
Height – 266 meters. Map - OS Landranger 38.
Climbed – 16 March 2010. Time taken – 45 minutes.
Distance – 2.75 kilometres. Height climbed – 110 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I have run over this hill on a few occasions but only recently became aware that Brimmond Hill was a Marilyn. My running route covered the south and west side of this hill so I wanted a different walking approach. I therefore drove to the fairly large car park on the Bankhead to Clinterty Road, which is within the boundaries of the City of Aberdeen. (Grid Ref. NJ8602810138) This was less than 4 miles from my home and took me around fifteen minutes to drive there so it has to be my nearest Sub 2000 Hill and Marilyn.

On leaving the car park I passed through a gate and followed a tarred road uphill. The start was rather disgusting as it is obviously used as a dog’s toilet. When I wasn’t looking where I was placing my feet I had views of Bennachie and Cairn William, fellow Marilyns, and Aberdeen Airport.

Higher up a stile, at the side of another gate, was crossed before I followed the path to the right which led through some gorse bushes to the summit of Brimmond Hill where there were a few radio masts and ancillary equipment. There was also a trig point and large cairn from where I could see Westhill, Kingswells, a large part of Aberdeen and beyond to the North Sea. Nearby there was also a direction indicator which was classed as a war memorial.

After spending a few minutes taking in the views I followed the road back to the car park.

Photos taken on walk.