The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Friday 11 February 2011

Kerloch, Kincardineshire.

Kerloch

Kerloch, Kincardineshire. Section 7.
Height – 534 metres. Map – OS Landranger 45.
Climbed - 6 February 2011. Time taken – 2.5 hours.
Distance – 10 kilometres. Ascent – 415 metres.
Trip Report Details:

This was my third and final Sub 2000 Marilyn for the day having already climbed Ben Newe in Glenbuckat and Craiglich near Tarland. The drive to the start took me along the South Deeside Road to Strachan and the signed unclassified road towards Stonehaven. Around four kilometres from Strachan I came to the start of my walk the ‘Right of Way’ to Auchenblae, called the Stock Mounth, also known as Foggy Road.

There were a few cars parked in the area so I had to drive slightly further east to get my car off the road before returning to the start of the ‘Right of Way’ where I took note of several signs. One warned of cattle but there weren’t any around when I set of but they were nearby on my return.

The vehicle track, which was in good condition headed south, passed a small quarry, and after around two kilometres reached the forest where there was another warning sign, this time regarding stalking. However this wasn’t a problem as it was Sunday, although the end of the hind stalking season was only a few days away.

The route through the trees continued to follow the vehicle track but the surface was a bit eroded as the gradient increased. I passed a but and ben before reaching the east edge of the forest where muirburning was in progress. Not far beyond this point I came to a junction of tracks with further ‘Right of Way’ signs. Here my route left the ‘Right of Way’ and headed west where the vehicle track became steeper and more eroded. Looking back through the trees I could see Banchory and the Hill of Fare.

The track eventually emerged from the forest and I continued to near the summit of Kerloch. Just before it levelled out a worn path headed to the summit cairn and trig point. It was now brighter than it had been all day and I had views of Glen Dye, Clachnaben and Mount Keen. However the smoke from the burning heather made the views of the Durris TV mast and Cairn-mon-earn less clear.

After several minutes at the top taking a few photographs I returned to the start by the upward route.

Photos taken on walk.