The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 9 February 2011

Craiglich, Aberdeenshire.

Craiglich

Craiglich, Aberdeenshire. Section 21B.
Height – 476 metres. Map – OS Landranger 37.
Date climbed - 6 February 2011. Time taken – 1.25 hours.
Distance – 4.5 kilometres. Ascent – 190 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I drove from Glenbuckat, where I had climbed Ben Newe, to Tarland and onto the B9119 where east of the Coull junction I located a large parking area on the north side of the road. Here there was a picnic area but my sights were set on the opposite side of the road where a track headed south towards the forest.

The main road and the locked gate were crossed before I walked along the track, which swung west before reaching another gate, this time with a stile. Once over the stile I was into the forest where recently trees and bushes at the side of the track had been cut down. It was a bit unsightly with the track covered in small cuttings. However it gave me clearer views westwards to Pressendye, Morven and Lochnagar.

Despite the cuttings and small areas of ice it was an easy walk through the forest gradually gaining some height. At the second junction on my left, marked by a cairn, I took a left turn and followed the track through the forest onto the open hillside. The track continued over the heather to the summit trig point and a partially collapsed beehive cairn.

In addition to the hills already mentioned I could now see Bennachie, Benaquhallie, Hill of Fare, Kerloch, which I planned to climb later that day, Clachnaben and Mount Battock. I found some shelter behind the cairn from a cool breeze for lunch before returning by the ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.