The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Tuesday 19 July 2011

Tap O'Noth, Rhynie.

Tap O'Noth

Tap O’Noth, Rhynie. Section 21A.
Height – 563 metres. Map – OS Landranger 37.
Climbed - 14 July 2011. Time taken – 1.5 hours.
Distance – 5 kilometres. Ascent – 300 metres.
Trip Report Details:

Earlier in the day I was in Duftown climbing The Convals with a plan to return via Rynie to add the Sub 2000 Marilyn, Tap O’Noth, to my day’s tally.
As I approached Rhynie, on the A941 Dufftown Road, an obvious sign indicated the route to the car park, which was up a narrow road. On leaving my vehicle I continued along this track which soon came to an end just beyond a stile. A short section of grassy path, which was a bit overgrown, was followed before I reached a new deer fence with appropriate gates. Beyond, the hillside was a bit of a mess as the gorse had been cut down but I later realised the reason for this was that tree planting was in progress and this accounted for the new fencing and gates.
I walked along the hard packed muddy vehicle track, which ran alongside this new fence, until I came to a second set of gates where I changed direction and followed another vehicle track uphill, still within the confines of the fenced off area. This led to a further set of gates and beyond the open hillside.
The ground steepened but a vehicle track, which had been improved in sections, led up the hillside then round the south side of the hill, just below the summit. From here I could see Rhynie and across the Aberdeenshire farmland to Bennachie. As the track swung round to the east side of Tap O’Noth I had views of the Hill of Noth and the town of Huntly. It was at this point that I entered the summit area, an old fort. I followed a path to the trig point and onto the actual summit, located beside a concrete plinth.
I returned to the trig point to eat my lunch. While seated there, looking out over the surrounding countryside, I was contemplating what an ideal location it was for a fort with its extensive views in all directions.
After my contemplations and lunch I returned to my car by the ascent route.

Photos taken on walk.