The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Wednesday 12 January 2011

Waughton Hill, Aberdeenshire.

Waughton Hill 

Waughton Hill, Aberdeenshire.Section 21B.
Height – 234 metres. Map – OS Landranger 30.
Climbed - 9 January 2011. Time taken 2.25 hours.
Distance – 8 kilometres. Ascent – 205 metres.
Trip Report Details:

I hadn’t been to the Buchan area for several years so on studying the Relative Hills of Britain book I decided to climb the Sub 2000 Marilyn, Waughton Hill, the most easterly Marilyn in Scotland.

I parked in the village of Strichen and walked up the snow and ice covered road to beyond Bransbeg Farm where a track, with evidence of recent snowdrifts, continued north and then east to the ruin at Pluckhill. A couple of gates and fields were crossed before I reached a barbed wire fence with gorse bushes beyond.

There was no obvious route through the bushes so I followed the fence north, crossing a couple of other fences en-route, before I found a suitable gap. Once over the barbed wire fence I climbed through clearings in the gorse to the edge of a quarry and onto an icy track that led passed a copse of firs.

Another track led to the ruin of Hunter’s Lodge where I took shelter, from a cold wind, for a coffee break looking across to Peterhead Power Station and the North Sea beyond. Once refreshed there was a slight dip, where disused electric fencing could trip the unwary, followed by a short climb to the summit of Waughton Hill. There was no cairn here but I considered somewhere close to a small triangle marked by three fence posts was the summit area.

I wondered around the top for a few minutes looking north to the fishing town of Fraserburgh and west to Banffshire before returning to Hunter’s Lodge and the trees beyond. I then made my way through gorse bushes to the snow covered stones laid out to look like a horse and known as the White Horse due to the stone colouring. From here a path led through the gorse to a wicket gate and a signposted route for Strichen.

The path followed the edge of a field before a track led to Bransfarm and the road back to Bransbeg Farm and Strichen.

Photos taken on walk.