The web site, Caledonia Hilltreks details my ascents of the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams and New Donalds all of which are above 2000 feet. This blog will contain an account of my ascents of the hills below this height as and when they are climbed.

Monday 18 January 2010

Beinn Dearg, Trossachs - Section 1C


Beinn Dearg

Beinn Dearg, Trossachs.
427 metres, OS Map Landranger 57.
Climbed - 10 January 2010, Time taken - 3 hours,
Distance - 6 kilometres, Height climbed 420 metres.
Trip Report Details:

The start of this walk was the unclassified Invertrossachs Road reached from the A81 within the town centre of Callander. A free car park is located 50 metres south-west of East Lodge from where I headed up through the snow covered forest tracks keeping left at any junction. Initially the going was relatively easy as a vehicle had been along part of the track a day or so beforehand. After the point where the vehicle had turned the walk through the deep soft snow was slow and tiring.

I came to the end of the vehicle track but hadn’t noticed any suitable fire break to gain access to the open hillside so I continued along a break in the trees, which may be a path, and crossed a stream. I considered using the side of this stream to get out of the forest but decided to continue further along the gap in the trees. After a while I came to a fire break and climbed it onto the open hillside and into an area of drifting snow.

Once through the drifts I reached a fence and followed it over some rough ground before a steep snow covered climb took me to the summit of Beinn Dearg, marked by a fence post. I then followed the fence line to Ben Gullipen, before descending north-west through the snow avoiding a few rocks before crossing a couple of fences and back into the forest. The going was quite difficult here as I worked my way through the trees following deer tracks. This descent took me to the vehicle track I had used earlier which I followed back to the car park.

Photos taken on walk.